2021.10.24 19:30 princessnuggz [Breeds] Suggest a dog for my family!
Looking for a puppy to add to our family that includes a 6 year old girl. We live in a row home in Philadelphia and are a pretty active family. I know that the exact dog/breed we're looking for probaby doesn't exist--I've taken a lot of quizzes and read up on quite a few breeds! But I thought you all here might have some suggestions I hadn't thought of.
1) Will this be your first dog? If not, what experience do you have owning/training dogs?
* My husband and I both had dogs growing up, but neither has had one as an adult, so in a lot of ways I guess we're first-time dog owners. We have two cats.
2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a reputable breeder?
* Slight preference for a rescue, though I see different advantages to both. The biggest drawback for a breeder for me is cost.
3) Describe your ideal dog.
* In terms of temperament, probably a tall order, but a dog that could go on hikes or sort runs with my husband, but also likes to chill and snuggle on the couch. In many ways our dog will be for our 6 year old daughter, so it would need to be good with kids/good family dog, as well as cats. We don't own any other dogs but many family members do and we'd like our dog to play well with them.
4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why?
* I like the look of bigger dogs without the size. I definitely like fox or wolf looking dogs, as well as certain spaniels, setters, and hounds. I had a beagle growing up and love their big ears. I'm looking at Cavalier King Charles Spaniels as well, but they are really expensive from a reputable breeder and I worry about their health issues. I love how most CKCS look though (ones with more of a snout) and I think their temperment sounds great. Though I worry about their separation anxiety too. I also really like the look of Eskie/Spitz/Schipperke type dogs. Or mini Aussies. I just worry that a mini Aussie would be too active or try to herd/nip at my daughter or cats.
5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do?
* Mostly just the basics. Sit, stay, heel. Thank kind of stuff.
6) Do you want to compete with your dog in a sport (e.g. agility, obedience, rally) or use your dog for a form of work (e.g. hunting, herding, livestock guarding)? If so, how much experience do you have with this work/sport?
7) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day?
* An hour or two of actual concentrated playing.
8) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park?
* We live in a city so would need to walk the dog a few times a day to relieve itself anyway. If it's a dog that can run for a bit, my husband would probably take it for a 30 minute run a couple/few times a week. We would also be using dog parks.
9) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly?
* Yes, open to grooming.
10) What size dog are you looking for?
* On the bigger side of small or the smaller side of medium. Like 20-30 lbs is our sweet spot I think.
11) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle?
* Not into slobber. Infrequent barking is OK. Shedding, while I don't love the idea of it, isn't really a dealbreaker. We have cat hair all over the place already.
12) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced area?
* Fairly important. We wouldn't ever do it in the city, but our family in the 'burbs let their dogs run around off leash and I'd love for our pup to join in (once trained)
**Dog Personality and Behavior**
13) Do you want a snuggly dog or one that prefers some personal space?
14) Would you prefer a dog that wants to do its own thing or one that’s more eager-to-please?
15) How would you prefer your dog to respond to someone knocking on the door or entering your yard? How would you prefer your dog to greet strangers or visitors?
* Would prefer they be chill/not a guard dog, but this isn't a huge deal breaker as long as it wouldn't be constant yapping when they hear noise outside (live in a rowhome with street noise and people walking around).
16) Are you willing to manage a dog that is aggressive to other dogs?
* No, we would like our dog to get along with other dogs. If our dog doesn't we will deal with it (i.e. not return it or give it up), but I'd like for the breed to generally be OK with other dogs.
17) Are there any other behaviors you can’t deal with or want to avoid?
* Aggressiveness, obviously, as I have a younger daughter.
18) How often and how long will the dog be left alone?
* This is a tough one. I WFM a couple days a week and my husband WFH every day right now. But come January we will both be in the office more often. There will be at least 1-2 days a week the dog is home all day. We'll have to hire a dog walker.
19) What are the dog-related preferences of other people in the house and what will be their involvement in caring for the dog?
* My husband and I will share responsibility. I think he'd prefer a larger dog. He likes Boxers, Shepherds, etc. We just have a smaller home in the city and I don't think a larger dog is a great idea.
20) Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? What breed or type of animal are they?
* Two cats--they're rescues. One is 11 and one is 4. No other plans for pets (or more kids) beyond getting this dog.
21) Will the dog be interacting with children regularly?
* YES! Definitely on the regular. My daughter is very loving, but sometimes too loving. So the dog will need to be willing to get lots of hugs and possibly be picked up/carried/manhandled.
22) Do you rent or plan to rent in the future? If applicable, what breed or weight restrictions are on your current lease?
* We own our home, so no restrictions in that way.
23) What city or country do you live in and are you aware of any laws banning certain breeds?
* We live in Philadelphia. No laws I'm aware of?
24) What is the average temperature of a typical summer and winter day where you live?
* In summer it's usually 85 and humid. In winter the average high temp is probably 40 with lows in the 20s.
submitted by princessnuggz to dogs [link] [comments]
2021.10.24 19:30 Quick_Meth "Ayo, I wanna look like a brush"
|submitted by Quick_Meth to Justfuckmyshitup [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 ManufacturerJumpy748 Eeek! What is happening to my prop?
|submitted by ManufacturerJumpy748 to moonstones [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 is_fake_Account PRAW Test old 1
2021.10.24 19:30 VictorHubress And She Loved It!
|submitted by VictorHubress to ThirstySpittoon [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 Bethesda-Corp H: Uny / Sentinel / AP Refresh Forest Scout Armor (legacy appears as Urban Scout Armor W: Legacy Flamer
|submitted by Bethesda-Corp to Market76 [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 Ok_Board9424 The American Shiba Tell a Friend Event ! 8600 Holders Strong
|submitted by Ok_Board9424 to AllStreetBets [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 Guarden_Gnome Separate spray for Swarm when playing as Ridden.
Since a lot of the spray options included depict the ridden, I feel a separate spray for just the ridden to use during swarm would be appropriate.
submitted by Guarden_Gnome to Back4Blood [link] [comments]
2021.10.24 19:30 rmathiasen [USA-MN] [H] ThinkPad P52 w/ P3200 [W] PayPal
Selling my daily driver Lenovo ThinkPad P52 after over two years of service. Asking $725 OBO shipped to CONUS.
2021.10.24 19:30 mrsheabutta87 24M [M4F] Birmingham Al (US) - looking for cute nerdy partner to binge watch anime with lol
24M [M4F] Birmingham Al (US) - looking for cute nerdy partner to binge watch anime with lol
What’s up y’all, my names Shea and my dream in life is to make a living through art. I’m a lovable introverted nerd whose ideal date is staying inside and binging anime 😭 open minded dude looking for a nerdy cuddle buddy. I’m also child free by choice and looking for some whose child free as well (meaning don’t want kids ever) I would prefer someone who lives close by (around the Birmingham, Al). Looking for a cute wholesome relationship.
Here’s some pics on me
submitted by mrsheabutta87 to ForeverAloneDating [link] [comments]
2021.10.24 19:30 pgifford1987 Bought another owl and figured I'd give an update
|submitted by pgifford1987 to battlestations [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 Try_L3mons Banned from the steam forums for linking a video showcasing hacking statistics and exposing the absurdity of the hacking issue in DBD.
|submitted by Try_L3mons to deadbydaylight [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 funkypenguin8193 [XB1] H: 20k caps W: Violet Flux
2021.10.24 19:30 yeeyt [US-CA] [H] Paypal [W] Ikki68 Aurora or KBD67 Lite Bluetooth PCB
Hey all, I'm looking for a bluetooth pcb for either the ikki68 aurora or the kbd67 lite. I would highly prefer if the battery was included, but willing to buy just the pcb as well. Let me know what you've got, thanks!
submitted by yeeyt to mechmarket [link] [comments]
2021.10.24 19:30 queeenlilith Corp goth 🦴🕯🖤
|submitted by queeenlilith to GothGirls [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 shoopdahoop22 How can kids screech so much without completely destroying their vocal cords???
2021.10.24 19:30 Billy_The_Beholder Any books, movies, shows, etc. that feel like this? (DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of the following images)
|submitted by Billy_The_Beholder to BooksThatFeelLikeThis [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 Lexicicist The Cthulnium (Cybernetic Moon Lord)
|submitted by Lexicicist to Terraria [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 czarny-paznokiec Streak 4: Wahlplakate
Nächsten Monat findet in meinem Land eine Kommunalwahl statt, und gestern durften die Politiker ihre Plakate überall aufhängen. Diese Möglichkeit haben sie wie immer völlig ausgenutzt. An jedem einzelnen Laternenpfahl in den Städten hängen Gesichter von Politikern, die verzweifelt versuchen, unsere Aufmerksamkeit zu erhalten. Sagen wir, manche schaffen das besser als andere.
Heute habe ich den ganzen Tag gearbeitet. Meine Arbeit besteht darin, in Städten herumzufahren und Essen an Kunden auszuliefern. Deswegen habe ich viele Plakate gesehen: zu viele, würde ich sagen. Es hat aber bei vielen von ihnen um dieselben Gesichter gehandelt, die mehrmals wiederholt wurden. Einige Politiker habe ich mindestens fünf tausend Mal gesehen, wenn nicht mehr. Meiner Meinung nach sind Wahlplakate oft eine große Unannehmlichkeit. Zuerst sind sie nicht schön anzusehen und beeinträchtigen die umgebende Natur sehr. Zweitens werden sie oft an gefährlichen Orten aufgehängt. Das heißt, dass sie den Verkehrsteilnehmern den Sicht versperren, was zu Unfällen führen kann. Zu guter Letzt sind sie schlecht für die Umwelt, besonders wenn niemand sie entfernt.
Während der Arbeit habe ich Radio gehört, denn sonst wäre alles langweiliger. Im Radio hat jemand erwähnt, dass das Beste an den Plakaten ist, dass man das Gesicht der Kandidaten sieht. Dem stemme ich zu, denn man fühlt sich wahrscheinlich wohler, für sie zu stimmen, wenn man ihre Gesichter sieht, statt ihren Namen zu hören. Meiner Meinung nach ist das aber auch das einzige Positive an den Plakaten.
Ich neige dazu, eine negative Einstellung zu den Plakaten zu haben. Für mich scheint es Geld- und Zeitverschwendung zu sein. Ich hoffe, sie werden ihre Plakate nach der Wahl entfernen, aber vielleicht ist das zu viel zu erwarten.
submitted by czarny-paznokiec to WriteStreakGerman [link] [comments]
2021.10.24 19:30 schlaubischlumpffan I am doing an exchange year but my social anxiety is making my mental health here pretty bad and I kind of regret my decision...
Hi:) Ok, so this is probably gonna be a very long post.. sorry about that.
So I (16F) am from Germany but I am currently doing an exchange year in Texas and going to a high school here.
I've always struggled with social anxiety and it has always made my life a little bit harder. But overall and especially since acknowledging it I was able to get along with it fine. And although I struggled with my friends situation in Germany too, I was at a point where I was pretty comfortable. I had 3 close friends (although 1 maybe not as much anymore and I only very regularly met up with one of them), I felt comfortable in school and in my class since I had been in the same class with the same people for 5 years, I had a good relationship with my parents and siblings (although looking back now I definitely didn’t appreciate and acknowledge them enough) and I was just overall doing ok I guess.
So I always wanted to do an exchange year and decided to actually do it and go to school in the US for 10 months. I was really excited about it and thought going specifically to the US would help me get more open and overcome my social anxiety since the people here are known for being very open. I thought about it a lot and imagined how my life here would be. Everyone I ever heard of told me that doing an exchange year was the best decision and one if not the best year of their lives. So I felt encouraged and I felt confident I could do it. I knew that this would be a very big challenge for my social anxiety but since my English was already very good and I was basically already fluent I decided that would make it one challenge less and I would be able to jump over my shadow and do this.
Well I have been here for 3 months now and it is just so much harder than I ever could have imagined, I cry myself to sleep a lot and my mental health overall and my social anxiety is just much worse than it was at home.
I live in a host family here and I do get along with them pretty well in general and besides the fact that living with a family you never knew before, of course, is very weird I would say I have gotten used to living here, and rather comfortable. The only thing giving me a lot of issues here are the kids. The little girl is just not respecting my boundaries at all and tries to hug me every time she gets the chance to, even though and because she knows that I do not like hugs and they make me uncomfortable. That's just one thing but I'm not really gonna get into the other reasons here.
So as I said I am a senior at a high school here. So as you might imagine I don't really have any friends. The only friend group that I have here are the other exchange students but that is just a little bit different because we're going through the same thing of course and I didn't really have to do anything myself to get these friends yk and a lot actually like went through my host sister (I have a double placement which means There is another exchange student living in my house and without her I probably would not survive this here at all (the kids and just everything in general).
I don't really have any classes with them though besides one class I have with my host sister. In this class, we have 2 „friends“ but as you might imagine I wasn't the one that like initiated that and we don't meet them like outside of school. I don't have any friends in any of my other classes because I am just mentally (it feels like it's physically) not able to take the first step and start talking to people and then keeping it going.
Before coming here I kind of thought everyone would know I'm not from here and be interested in talking to me, which is pretty naive to think but that's what I heard from some former exchange students. Well, my school here is huge (2770 students, for comparison my german school roughly has 600) and no one is interested in talking to me. And if they are then they ask like 2 questions and then they're not interested anymore. And I guess my accent also is not strong enough for people to know I'm not from here. Also, they are probably used to people not speaking perfect English since we have a lot of students coming from Mexico at my school that only speak Spanish and a little bit of English.
Our school has A and B days and 4 classes per day. A day is the day where I have forensic science with my host sister which makes it an ok day but still in the other classes I pretty much just quietly does my work alone. Well, B-day is way worse… I quietly do my work the whole day since I don't have any friends or people talking to me on that day. I also have my less favorite classes on B-day. So I just kind of exist and get through with these school days but I never really have fun in school. And I mean I came here to experience the American high school so It makes me feel so bad and guilty and like I'm wasting time and I'm just not really happy in school here. Most exchange students say to join a club or a sport and that that will make it very easy to find friends, so since I already played a little bit of soccer in Germany I joined the soccer team. Sadly that didn't help me either and it just kind of feels a little awkward a lot of the time.
This whole thing is just being really bad for my mental health, I cry a looot here and I'm just not really that happy here and I just want to be home so often.
I have friends that are doing an exchange year as well and seeing all their stories and talking to them and hearing about how happy they are here and how ist the best year of their lives and they don't want to leave and just only see them having like a lot of friends just hurts e a lot and makes me feel so bad. I've already unfollowed every exchange student I am not personally friends with but it is still very hard.
One of my best friends (the one I meet more often) is doing an exchange year as well and she is the only one I ever really open up to about my social anxiety since she also has an anxiety disorder and can relate a lot better and I don't know why but she is just the only one I feel comfortable talking to about my struggles. So for her ist pretty much the opposite and her mental health got so much better being here and hearing from her just hurts so much too. And she tries to help me but I just feel like right now I have no one that can relate to me and really understand me and I'm just t not really a person that opens up easily which means I'm not really comfortable opening up to anyone.
And now my birthday is in like 2 weeks and I just don't know how I'm supposed to be able to feel happy on my birthday in this situation when it's gonna be my first birthday ever without my family and also without my twin sister who is doing an exchange year as well (which makes me compare mine to hers as well too of course and it's really hard to see her be so happy too).
And of course, I'm happy for all my friends and that they are having such an amazing time but I am just not and that makes it so difficult for me to feel happy for them.
I just don't know what to do anymore and how I'm supposed to make it through the next 7 months.
And don't get me wrong of course there are still happy moments here like when I'm hanging out with the other exchange students but otherwise I just kind of regret my exchange year a little bit.
And also every you do have a Local coordinator from the agency that is supposed to talk to you regularly and just help you with things but mine is just not that present. Technically she is supposed to talk to us like once every 2 weeks and meet us at least once a month but I have only seen and talked to my local coordinator once for like 10 minutes after the first month. She was also supposed to give us an orientation where she goes over rules advice etc when we got here but she never did that either. So although she does seem like a nice person she's just so busy with her own family and her job she doesn't really do her job as a local coordinator that well and it just doesn't make me comfortable enough to talk to her about this.
Sorry, this was so long but I just kind of needed to rant about this and let it all out somewhere, and maybe one of you has some advice for me…
submitted by schlaubischlumpffan to socialanxiety [link] [comments]
2021.10.24 19:30 _TheSlash_ best lavahound deck
What is lavahound decks need the most, is it offense or somthing esle, also what type of lavahound decks are the best and easyest to play, lavaloon or lava clone
submitted by _TheSlash_ to ClashRoyale [link] [comments]
2021.10.24 19:30 yetirucksack A recent skateboard desk design I sketched up for a friend.
|submitted by yetirucksack to SkateArt [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 rmathiasen [USA-MN] [H] ThinkPad P52 w/ P3200 [W] PayPal
Selling my daily driver Lenovo ThinkPad P52 after over two years of service. Asking $725 OBO shipped to CONUS.
2021.10.24 19:30 juacq97 A wholesome ending
|submitted by juacq97 to UnexpectedJoJo [link] [comments]|
2021.10.24 19:30 qualitywhim Buying the Canon EOS M6 Mark II, looking for lens recommendations for general use/portraits/baby photos
Camera noob here so please bear with me! I’m currently looking at the Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 and also the Sigma 16 mm f/1.4 for lenses. I think these are quite different in terms of the results but both really decent lenses in their own right? Would appreciate if someone could break down the main differences between these two and which you would recommend overall for the usage as stated in the title. TIA!
submitted by qualitywhim to canon [link] [comments]